2017 KTM 50 SX
The 50 SX is a true READY TO RACE KTM for young MX riders. It is a genuine dirt bike that, like its bigger siblings, is produced with top-quality components. This makes the 50 SX the first choice as a stepping stone into the world of MX or for the first racing step on the ladder. With the youngster in mind this package has an engine that delivers steady, controllable power, incorporating an automatic clutch that allows the rider to concentrate on the track, not shifting. This year’s model features revolutionary WP AER 35 front forks, fully adjustable rear suspension, a new exhaust, ultra-cool graphics and a lot of detail improvements that make going fast fun.
- Engine: The modern, extremely compact 2-stroke engine fitted with an automatic clutch sets the standard in its class with improved power and power band due to a new exhaust pipe. Thanks to the 3-shaft design, the crankshaft is close to the bike’s center of gravity. This does not just benefit the handling, but also allows for a flow optimized intake angle into the reed valve – a prerequisite for maximum performance.
- Power Reduction Kit: For absolute beginners the engine power can be reduced to a moderate 5.5hp using a kit from the PowerParts program.
- Exhaust: A newly developed exhaust pipe provides a higher output and a smoother power delivery over the entire rev range, making the new 50 SX even more competitive than before.
- Cylinder: The high performance cylinder features a pressure controlled exhaust valve (PCEV) and provides an unrivaled performance within the highly competitive 50cm3 class.
- Clutch: Developed by KTM, the centrifugal multi-disc automatic clutch provides manageable acceleration and makes riding this motorcycle the easiest thing in the world. It can be adjusted to the specific requirements of the track and the rider in minutes and without any special tools.
- Bodywork: The bodywork is derived from the full-size SX models and provides perfect ergonomics, well thought-out contact points for the rider and maximum freedom of movement. In addition, smart design solutions for the new front and rear fenders are prime examples of an intelligent design, which guarantees maximum stability through a well thought-out structure and mounting.
- Frame: The modern frame produced by WP Performance Systems is made of lightweight, high strength chromoly steel profiles and combines maximum longitudinal stiffness with optimum torsional rigidity. It guarantees easy handling and precise cornering, but also outstanding stability.
- Graphics: Derived from the full-size SX bikes, the graphic design makes the new 50 SX look even cooler. Its frame has a super rugged polymer coating in cheeky black.
- Handlebars: Made of high quality aluminum alloy, the handlebars offer top stability and safety. A crash pad on the handlebar brace protects our dearest from rough contact.
- Radiator: Like the big KTM bikes, the 50 SX has a liquid cooling system, which even cools the crankcase. Generously sized radiators ensure outstanding heat dissipation for high reliability, even under extremely heavy duty.
- Swingarm: The 50 SX is fitted with a lightweight cast aluminum swingarm. Conceived using the latest in calculation and simulation software, the design and wall thickness have been made for minimum weight at optimum stiffness and precisely defined flexibility. In addition it features a robust 2-compound chain guide similar to the full-size models.
- Front Suspension: The new 50 SX is the first model in its class fitted with a modern, fully adjustable air fork: the AER 35, made by WP Suspension. Beside a massive weight reduction of 750g the newly developed upside-down front forks with 35mm tube diameter and 205mm of travel ensure outstanding comfort, damping characteristics and directional stability. Another main benefit for junior riders is that the air spring fitted in the left fork leg can be adjusted perfectly to the rider’s weight just with a simple air fork pump.
- Rear Suspension: On the rear wheel a WP monoshock linked directly to the swingarm provides excellent damping performance and is now fully adjustable in order set the damping perfectly to rider’s preferences and track conditions. The rear wheel travel is 185mm.
- Wheels: Like the big KTM factory racers, the 50 SX has super lightweight, black anodized, aluminum rims providing highest strength and safety. The OEM knobbly MAXXIS tires grip superbly on any surface.
- Brakes: The 50 SX is fitted with front and rear hydraulic brakes by Formula combined with lightweight wave discs that are easy to control even for the youngest riders. This ensures the best deceleration and the highest standard when it comes to safety.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- Displacement: 49 cm³
- Bore: 39.5 mm
- Stroke: 40 mm
- Starter: Kickstarter
- Transmission: Single-speed automatic
- Primary drive: 61:33
- Secondary gear ratio: 11:40
- Clutch: Centrifugal clutch (adjustable)
- EMS: Seletra 2p D36
- Frame design: Central-tube frame with double-cradle
- Front suspension: WP-USD, AER 35, Ø 35 mm
- Rear suspension: WP shock absorber
- Suspension travel (front): 205 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 185 mm
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 160 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 160 mm
- Chain: 1/2 x 3/16"
- Steering head angle: 66 °
- Wheelbase: 1032 ± 10 mm
- Ground clearance: 252 mm
- Seat height: 684 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 2.3 l
- Weight READY TO RACE (without fuel): 41.5 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 2-stroke engine
- 49 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 39.5 x 40 mm
- Front Suspension
- WP-USD, AER 35, Ø 35 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Dry Weight
- 41.5 kg
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.3 L
- 1032 ± 10 mm
- Ground Clearance
- 252 mm
- Seat Height
- 684 mm
- Single-speed automatic
- Final Drive
- Chain: 1/2 x 3/16 in.